Wednesday, March 14, 2007

In the spirit of the season...

Part of the fun of sports is rooting on our favorite teams to win.

Well, we all know that.

The dark, seedy, yet just as fun side of sports is rooting for your most hated teams to lose. Sometimes an Iowa loss is just as thrilling as an Illini win (see last years first round of the tourney for example).




Now in pro-sports it's easy to find a team to hate. There's only so many teams to pick from. For example, let's say you develop a dislike for....I don't know...lets just say...purely as an example.....the St.Louis Cardinals. That's one of only 30 teams. Chances are you'll find away to demonstrate your intense hatred for them in many ways on many occasions.

Now in Division I basketball there are so many teams to pick from! I want to say hundreds, but I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to count. If anyone wants to do it for me, please go right ahead. You have to agree though, there are lots of the buggers. So how do you pick who to root against and even then,why? Yeah, you have your traditional teams that you detest, but why limit your hate to just them? If you're anything like me you probably have spare oodles of hate just looking for a constructive outlet! Maybe in the 64 teams left vying for the title in the NCAA tourney you don't know if you should be rooting against the Niagara Purple Eagles or the Albany Great Danes....hmmmm....what's a fan to do?

Well, the folks at Slate has come to your aid. They have picked out 13 Teams For You To Root Against.

Enjoy!

*Brad hangs up the "Gone Drinkin'" sign on the Pulpit*

4 comments:

Okasa said...

I just gotta say I'll match your Cardinal hatred with my own of the Cubs.

I've had 20 years of rooting against the South Siders, and they haven't let me down yet.

Go Cards!

Anonymous said...

I was rooting for Illinois to go 2 slots in, and they let me down...as well as the Hogs. With that play, we didn't even deserve to go.

Go CARDS! (fans since 1991) ha.

Okasa said...

Alrightly, a Cardinal Love Fest right here on Brad's Blog.

I just wanted to point out that I mis-posted... I do know that the Cubs are the North Siders and the Sox the South Siders, just a small bit of directional dyslexia.

I wouldn't want Tom to get the wrong idea. I don't bare ill will towards the Sox.

Go Cards!

Anonymous said...

Interesting that Iowa is one of your hated teams. How'd that happen?