Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Rubbin's racin', Cole!

So, I think that I have finally recovered enough to post about the events of my past weekend.

The boys of NASCAR came to the stately Chicagoland Speedway in lovely Joilet, Illinois over this past weekend. The racetrack is a hop, skip and jump from my parents home out in there in heartland. Well, bright and early on Sunday morning (This was after a night out at the Joilet Jackhammers game. While I was there I was fortunate enough to get a quality picture with their mascot Jammer. The pictures are hopefully to follow.) I was roused from sleep in my parents house, herded sleepily into a van and before you knew it I was sipping the High Life before 9:30AM. Good times......damn good times.

My father, all three of my brothers and my brother-in-law all were able to make it in for the race. It was full fledged family male bonding. My brother Bruce was master of the grill, stirring up a yummy brunch and tasty dinner for us. Meanwhile my little brother Brian and I went head to head at bags/cornhole/whatever you want to call it. I was trounced soundly over and over and over, but I think I out drank him pretty handily, so really in the end I think we can call it a wash.

The weather was awesome, the race was loud and in the end Tony Stewart won fairly handily which made a majority of my family (including yours truly) pretty damn happy.



Yesterday I had absolutely no voice, was more than a tad hangy-overy but all and all pretty damn happy. I definitely have to go again next year.....and this time I'll have to bring a damn camera. A picture of the stand at the local gas station that was selling a wide variety of different confederate flags would have been a priceless addition to this post. I personally was a huge fan of the one with "Git-R-Done!" in huge letters the middle. Hey, I never claimed NASCAR was the Sport of Kings!

Oh, did I mention that the Cubs swept the Astros this weekend as well? With a sports weekend that great, I'm definitely due for some sort of wicked karmatic sports backlash in the very near future.

5 comments:

Little sausage said...

I hear JP Montoya was there on the weekend. Them stock cars is some very different animals to the cars he's used to driving, and methinks Chicagoland is very different to the Motor Speedway.

Sounds like you had a great time!

Brad said...

Well, he has won one race this season (predictably on a road course which is probably more to his liking).

I'll tell you, he got a pretty loud "welcome" to the speedway....and not in a good way. I think that maybe the good ol' boys may not appreciate a Colombian meesin' around in their sport.

Little sausage said...

Damn those dirty Colombians.

I'm Argentine and get that kinda reception here in the UK so I feel for him.

Brad said...

The gaucho pants are probably a dead giveaway.

Little sausage said...

What, you mean mi bombachas? I only wear them in the bedroom.