Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My life is complete...

A Michigan grad who has little knowledge of the Chief situaton and NO emotional stake in it (but has a more bully pulpit than mine) called me "Sad" and "Small". It doesn't get much better than this!

I actually disagree with you on point #4.
If I gave money to a charity, and that charity suddenly made moves that no longer reflected my values or beliefs, I would not continue blindly donating money to that charity.
The University no longer reflects my values and I do not support that. There are plenty of other outlets that can better use my money.
Trust me, being a huge research university, me taking the University license plates off my car and not returning the yearly request for donations isn't going to cause the Illini Union to come crashing to the ground. It will be an impotent gesture, but I will feel better and my money will go to better causes.
And as a Michigan grad, you have no first hand knowledge the emotions that run here. Because this was handled so poorly by the university, we will be hearing about it for years to come. Trust me.


ZORN REPLY -- Oh, come on. Your value system is so tied up in this sports ritual that you are now rejecting the University for making this decision after many years of wrestling with it? You think this makes up a fraction of a percent of what this University means, what it stands for, what it does, why it's important? That's so sad and so small.

Eric Zorn of The Chicago Tribune

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Woo hoo! Fight the power, man!

Serously, an ad hominem attack in response to your well-stated argument? That's so melancholy and dimiutive.